Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Berliner Means Donut

You know your priorities are lined up all nice and orderly when you choose to write a blog post over an assigned essay.  But I figured that a post was long overdue, and so, here’s a “Hallo!” from Berlin!

I kid you not when I say that Hallo is one of the few German words I know.  Whoever said that ignorance was bliss was obviously familiar with German while in Germany.  I can literally recite the number of words I know in German—wait, why don’t I do so, and you can keep a tally for me.  Don’t worry; you’ll only need one hand.  Strasse, which means street, Hallo, which means hello, bitte, which means please, platz, which means place, and Berliner, which means donut.  And that’s five!  A high five if you’re feeling supportive and encouraging!  I do intend to expand my German vocabulary though… All I need is a little bit of patience and a whole lot of time and I’ll be well on my way away from ignorance, and towards bliss!

Until then, this language barrier has proven to be a daily struggle.  Actually, I’m being a bit dramatic.  It’s only been four days here, and although that isn’t much, I already feel as if I’ve had a nice a taste of the German life and the Berlin experience!  Our program directors actually went out of their way to ensure that our first days in Berlin were not only memorable, but that they would also leave an extremely pleasant taste in our mouths that would leave us craving more.  

On Sunday, two days after our arrival, we took a bike tour around the city with Fat Tire Bike Tours and hit up most of the tourist hot spots and landmarks.  Unfortunately for you lot, I was too preoccupied with not falling off my bike or getting hit by an aggressive taxi driver, that I didn’t manage to snap any pictures…but there’s still time! 6 weeks of time to be exact! 


After about 4 hours of biking, we ended up at a Biergarten in Tiergarten called Schleusenkrug and located on Müller-Breslau-Straße, 10623 Berlin, Germany.  I wasted no time and went straight for a bratwurst!


This little beauty came straight from the grill, and was plated with a sauerkraut salad on top of a delightful bed of couscous!


After dinner, we decided to complete our German experience by having some German beer.  I call this particular one baby beer, and in all honestly, I bought it for the baby and the pop top.  I mean, look at that face, and that top!  How could I resist?  Easy..I didn't.  This beer was super bubbly and light.  Can you tell that when I'm not a full time student, I spend my time as a beer connoisseur?


This little guy doesn't look as fun as the first one.  And trust me, it didn't as fun either.  This one was much darker, but surprisingly it wasn't bitter despite the hints of coffee.  

It was overall a really fun day despite the biking in the rain.  Oh wait...I forgot to mention...we biked back from the Biergarten in the rain.  When I said that our program directors went out of their way to make our first few days memorable, I meant it. 

Tschau! (Courtesy of Google Translate...)

Kimmy


Fat Tire Bike Tours: http://berlin.fattirebiketours.com
Schleusenkrug: http://www.schleusenkrug.de

No comments:

Post a Comment