Friday, October 4, 2013

Masters and World-Class Experts

So, I've decided to take a break from writing my lab report--I've decided to take a break from being productive.  I know right?  As if it's a difficult thing to do, but you know what makes it easier?  It turns out that I'm a master at it--a master at being unproductive, I mean.

Let me explain.

According to mister Malcolm Gladwell, it takes approximately 10,000 hours to achieve mastery in a field.  And seeing as I have spent more of my life than not, being unproductive, I'd say I'm a master by now, wouldn't you?  Regardless, Malcolm would.  In fact, I'd even argue that I've surpassed the quota and have gone beyond the level of mastery associated with being a world-class expert.  To avoid being unproductive yesterday, I took a day trip to the South Coast...as if I needed the additional hours.

Let me start off by saying that this trip wasn't planned--it was supposed to rain that day and hence, I actually intended to stay much closer to the city.  Scanning over a public transport map over a bowl of chocolate oats however, my plans began to change.  Let me tell you, nothing brings out the adventure in you like a public transportation map...or any map in general.  Don't believe me?  Just try it.  Pull out a world map and bam, you'll find yourself on a one-way flight to Peru.

I couldnt afford Peru.  So, instead, I grabbed a few things: my bus pass, my iPad, my laptop (to charge my iPad), and headed out the door.  A good three hours and a few hundred pages into A Cuckoo's Calling later, I arrived. 

Not in Peru, but in Kiama!



Three hours outside the city, Kiama is one of those towns.  You know what I'm talking about?  The ones where everyone knows and genuinely likes one another; where families are out and about on a Sunday afternoon for ice cream after church; where the dogs, as well as the children, run about leash-less. 


Where the milk comes straight from a farm in Kiama, and is in the most literal sense of the word not only local, but fresh.


It just has that old time feel that visitors are drawn to.  They also come for the blowhole.


They actually mostly come for the blowhole.


To get to the location, you simply follow a paved path that takes you along the coast and winds through some beautiful, beautiful places.  


The word winds is extremely misleading though.  It makes it sound as if the path was miles long...In reality, the blowhole took no longer than fifteen minutes to get to from the station.



But, in all honesty, the fifteen minutes will pass by in a matter of seconds.  I mean, who's counting the seconds when the view is this stunning.


  And to add to it, the blow hole was simply a work of art.  



Or to be more politically correct, a work of nature, haha.  The Kiama Blowhole is essentially a hole in the rock, positioned in a way that when tide rolls in, the water crashes into a rock wall and is forced up, out of the hole, and into the air!


The splash from the blowhole actually soaked me after this picture was taken!


It was a great day, but truth be told, reliving it has tired me out a bit!  I actually think I forgot to mention one more thing I've actually mastered almost quite as well as being unproductive--sleeping.  I'm a few hours short on being a world-class expert on that one.  I know, I know, shameful, but I'll get to working on it now!

Until my next spout of un-productivity,

Kimmy


No comments:

Post a Comment