Sunday, October 27, 2013

Holy Moly Ricotta Cannoli

I woke up and found out that the Norton Street Italian Festa was going on today in Leichhardt.  This could only mean two things: food, and more food.  Obviously, I was down.


There were tons of cooking demonstrations going on all day!  I sat in on a few to rest my tummy in between rounds...



I had lunch right before the festival, but I couldn't resist the porchetta sandwich.  It's apparently one of a list of traditional Italian foods with cultural relevance and significance.


According to Wikipedia, "Porchetta [porˈketta], also sometimes spelled porketta in English, is a savoury, fatty, and moist boneless pork roast of Italian culinary tradition." 


"The body of the pig is gutted, deboned, arranged carefully with layers of stuffing, meat, fat, and skin, then rolled, spitted, and roasted, traditionally over wood." 


"Porchetta is usually heavily salted in addition to being stuffed with garlicrosemaryfennel, or other herbs, often wild."


There was only one thing Wikipedia forgot to mention...Porchetta is absolutely delicious!  


It was an absolute beautifully stunning combination of fat, juicy pork, and crunchy pork skin.  I had mine with chili sauce.  It was a masterpiece--gluttony at its finest.


These guys were adorable!  They were so cheery!  I had no idea what they were singing about, as it was in Italian, but I'm sure it was of happy things!


These slushies in pouches seemed to be really popular amongst the little kiddies!


These were the Mustazzoli, which are essentially Italian honeybread cookies...which are essentially Italian gingerbread cookies.  Except these were absolutely massive.  


There was also gnocchi, which I was dying to try, but unfortunately I was only born with one stomach, and gnocchi wouldn't belong in my dessert pocket.


There was also some granita!


And fresh squeezed orange juice!


This stand would have to be one of my favorites of the day.  Locantro Fine Foods was serving an assortment of irresistible desserts.


It was a tough decision but I had to go with the ricotta cannoli, and let me just say, holy moly ricotta cannoli....life is good.  

Cheers,
Kimmy












No comments:

Post a Comment