Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Soul Mates

So, I just finished an episode of The Bachelor.  Please avert your judgmental eyes, as this is a hate-free zone, thank you very much.  But, as I was saying, I just finished an episode, and it was actually the season finale, so the bachelor found his bachelorette!  Yippee!  And you know what?  As prepared as I was to bash on the inauthenticity of it all, I was genuinely surprised at how believable it all was.  I genuinely believe that Mr. Bachelor loves his future Mrs. Bachelor.  Well, at least I’d sure hope so, seeing as they’re kind of getting married… but the concept behind the Bachelor has always been a bit confusing to me.  Actually, not so much confusing, as interesting.  

You see, growing up, I was a huge believer in fairy tales.  I believed in happily ever afters and all things Disney, including soul mates and Prince Charmings.  But watching the Bachelor really makes you wonder, how much of all relationships are based on proximity?  If you take a guy and force him to interact with fifteen girls and fifteen girls only, what are the chances that he’ll fall madly in love with one of them?  According to the bachelor, the probability is one—meaning he has a one hundred percent chance of marrying a lucky girl.  And what about the girls?  Fifteen girls and one guy—are they going to inevitably fall in love with the bachelor?  Would that mean that they all shared the same soul mate?  Or did he become all of their soul mates?  Can two people have the same soul mate?  Can one person have two?

As I’ve gotten older, my once clear and certain definition of soul mates has gotten a lot more convoluted and hazy, but I can say one thing for sure, I still definitely believe in them, whatever they are.  In fact, I think I may have possibly found mine.  That is if my soul mate came in the form of a sandwich.


Mom, dad, I’d like you to meet my soul mate.  We met at the entrance of the Marrickville markets (142 Addison Rd, Marrickville New South Wales 2204) on an incredibly rainy Sunday, and in all honesty, it was true love at first sight.  Or, I guess you could say bite.


If you tell the kind lady that you're a gravy lover, you're in for a real treat.  Not only will she drown the lamb in gravy after placing it in the roll, but she'll also give you an extra dose of gravy before stuffing the roll!  I know it may sound like gravy overload, and a stained shirt waiting to happen, but she guaranteed it to be mess-free!  I don't know how she did it, but it was...the bun wasn't the slightest bit soggy, and the gravy wasn't overly runny and ended up exactly where it needed to be, in my mouth!  If I learned anything at the markets on Sunday it's this: if you meet someone that makes you feel as good as a spit roast lamb and gravy roll--excited, giddy, warm, toasty, satisfied, and desperate for more--it may just be true love.  Three cheers for soul mates!  Hip hip hooray for beautiful lamb and gravy sandwiches!

Cheers, 

Kimmy



No comments:

Post a Comment