Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Just Because

It's funny how quickly and how suddenly things can change.

Just yesterday I was home and it was summer.  My individual pores were sweating and my face nearly melted right off.  Today, I'm in a completely different part of the globe and it's winter.  As for my pores, they're crying silent tears and my face--trust me, my face isn't going anywhere.

Today, I also moved into an apartment for the very first time.  My very own apartment.  I feel like I aged years in the span of a day.  Just yesterday, I felt like a child.  I was free to roam about and do what I pleased.  I had no commitments, no responsibilities, and no obligations.  When I was tired of being at home, I went out to Target and bought makeup wipes just because (I'll try not to get too wild now).  It's funny to think about how many things you do as a child just because.

But today, I went out to the grocery store to literally buy groceries and toilet paper.  The day you go to the grocery store for broccoli and lettuce instead of ice cream and chips is the day you know you're a grown up.  And the day you have to buy your very own toilet paper for your very own apartment, well, let's just say that you should probably start browsing catalogs for a sturdy and stable walking cane because you'll be needing it real soon.  Life just got very real very quickly.  And who knew that toilet paper was all it would take?

By my definition, I'm an adult now.  Also by my definition, most things I now do need justification.  There should be reason and purpose behind what I choose to do and commit myself to.  I can't just live my life all willy nilly and do things just for the sake of just because anymore.  However, being an adult, I also realize that there is an inner child within me, and this child likes to do things, such as hiking and climbing.  Why?  I don't know, just because.

So let's talk hiking and climbing.  Let's talk the Cave of Munits.

Located on 24477 Vanowen Street, West Hills, CA 91307, the Cave of Munits is in El Escorpion Park.


To get to the cave, you follow the dirt trail and stay left until you see a break in the fence.  From there, make a sharp right and there should be a dirt path that leads straight up to the opening of the cave.


Now once you reach the mouth of the cave, you should probably consider releasing your inner child because the hike gets a little tough and the climbing gets even tougher.  The cave is comparable to a chimney in that there is an opening at the top.  If you follow the rocks and practice some careful climbing, you end up right above the opening in the roof of the cave.  And let me just tell you, the view is stunning!  Definitely worth the numerous close calls you're bound to have getting up there.  I'm going to be a naggy mother for a brief second, but be careful!  And remember, what goes up, must come down, and climbing is no different.  And I'm not going to lie, the descent got a bit tough for me, but if you're up for it, the satisfaction and the view is a good enough reason to attempt the climb.



Or if the view isn't good enough reason to attempt the climb, you could always just do it.  You know, for the sake of doing it.  Because that's just as good a reason as any.  You could always do it just because.

Happy careful climbing!

Yours,
Kimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment