Thursday, June 19, 2014

Lazy Pigs, Lazy Knuckles

I am fully aware that pigs are living creatures.  They have faces, feet, and feelings, but who knew that they had knuckles...?  Anyone?  Anyone?

That wasn’t a rhetorical question, by the way.  There is a correct answer, and it’s Germans.  Germans knew and Germans know that pigs have knuckles, and they’re obsessed with that fact.  Trust me.  I spent last weekend in Munich, and let me tell you something, I went from not knowing that pig knuckles existed to thinking that they were the only part of a pig that exist in southern Germany.  The dish was offered at every single restaurant, including the Japanese sushi joint.  I’m only kidding about that, but actually though, if we were at a German restaurant, you could bet that knuckle was on the menu.  Bavarians like their pigs and love their pigs’ knuckles, and love, in this case, may actually be a slight understatement.

My first encounter with Scheweinshaxe was at the Hofbräuhaus München located on Platzl 9, 80331 München, Germany.


And it was absolutely delicious!


 I never would have guessed it, but the pig knuckle is so ridiculously tender! 


I never would have guessed it, but the pig knuckle is so ridiculously tender! I mean, I guess it makes sense…I’m not exactly sure what strenuous task knuckles could be forced to endure to toughen up, but with one gentle prod with the tip of a dull fork and the meat practically slid right off the bone into the generous pool of meaty gravy.  It was a beautiful sight.  Lazy knuckles—please do stay lazy.



I would attach a picture of my finished plate but that wouldn't be classy of me...


But who said I was ever about class?

Tschüss,

Kimmy


No comments:

Post a Comment