Monday, August 5, 2013

Carpe Diem


Seize the day. 

The first time I heard this, I thought the meaning of the phrase had something to do with fish.  Alright, that was a lie.  I literally thought the meaning of the phrase had absolutely everything to do with fish—specifically carp.  I just might possibly be the most intelligent being on this planet, I know.  I’d like to use young and dumb as an excuse, but the truth is, I was not so young, but I was definitely dumb. 

Now, being not much older, but a wee bit wiser, I know better.  I know that the meaning of carpe diem has absolutely nothing to do with fish; however, I also know that sometimes, seizing the day has completely everything to do with fish—specifically fish at the fish market—and even more specifically, fish at the Sydney Fish Market.



The Sydney Fish Market at Pyrmont Bridge Rd, Pyrmont, NSW 2009, is open Monday to Friday from 7:00am to 4:30pm.  If you happen to be in the area, I’d definitely encourage you to stop for a visit regardless of whether you see fish as friends or food. 


Being completely hopeless at navigating and directions, my only advice is to follow your nose.  The smell of fish was ever present and the closer we got to the market, the more intense the smells became, and the more and more excited I was.  This positive relationship, however, only holds if and only if a fish market is in the equation.  I'm not that weird.


But where do I even begin?  I honestly asked myself that several times today on several different occasions.  Should I head to this fish shop first or that one?  Should I grab some shrimp or scallops?  It's a good thing the market is opened five days a week, because the shops are plentiful and consequently the fish are plentiful, which could only mean one thing.  The difficult decisions were just as plentiful.


Lucky for me, those difficult choices and decisions would have to wait for another visit because I was actually at the fish market for one reason. 


This is the Barramundi, a fish native to Australia.  Extremely popular amongst the locals, the Barramundi is a flaky, white fish with a mild, buttery consistency.  I purchased some diced salmon and a Barramundi filet from the market and prepared it for dinner and it's instantly become one of my new favorite fish! 

I also had the chance to try a few freshly shucked oysters from an oyster bar.

This was my first time having oysters, and they were hands down, the best oysters I've ever had.  They were extremely fresh and delicious!  I know I sound like a kid in a candy store with my obnoxious levels of enthusiasm and excitement, but trust me.  Trust the big kid in the funky, fishy candy store.  

Carpe Diem.

Remember when I told you carpe diem meant sieze the day and had nothing to do with fish?  I was not that young, but a wee bit dumb.  Now, I'm a few minutes older and a few experiences wiser, and I know better.  It actually means sieze the day, head to the Sydney Fish Market and try some Barramundi.  It actually has everything to do with fish.  So, go.

Carpe Diem and happy eating!

Yours,
Kimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment